Saturday, January 29, 2011

What a Night!

I had the chance to attend the annual Hall of Fame ceremonies at the high school where I taught and coached for thirty three years last night.  It was the first time I have been back since I retired three and a half years ago. 

It was a terrific night!  All four of the inductees were people that I had coached, taught, or worked with.  I was so honored to have had the chance to have an impact upon the lives of these folks and was so very proud that they were inducted into this noteworthy group.  Their faces will be forever honored on the Wall of Fame and this is great for them and their families.  It also will serve as a beacon for those who aspire to sometime be inducted themselves.

What became very clear to me on the drive home and while I was on the treadmill at the gym this morning, is that we have a zillion opportunities during the course of our lifetimes to positively impact others.  We can share what we have learned with them, encourage them, give them constructive criticism, laugh with them when things are funny and do what we can to help them when things do not go as planned.  I can honestly say that I have tried to be a positive role model and impact people in a positive way throughout my life.

Coaching and teaching at the high school level provided me with lots of chances to do all of these things. 

As they each got up to receive their awards and give a speech I was flushed with fond memories of times spent with them.  The memories were crystal clear and my heart beat a bit faster as these memories flashed through my memory bank. As I sat in the gym and then walked down the hallway to the library for the reception I smiled. 

My life has intersected with many and when they mentioned my name as they shared their thanks for winning these awards I was very proud.  Proud that I was able in one small way or another to have helped these people reach their mountaintop.  Proud that they felt strongly enough about my impact to mention me at all.

What a night!

2 comments:

  1. John, You have impacted both mine and Vic's lives in so many ways.....We are both forever grateful that our paths were destined to cross so many times!

    Thanks for being there, both last night, and all the other times!

    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, John, you have positively impacted so many lives. Including mine, of course. I know you're not fishing for compliments because that's not how you are. But I had to give you one because you deserve it. It was a joy to talk to you a few weeks ago. Hugs and love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete