Thursday, January 20, 2011

One Small Step

I thought I had seen and heard it all.  After all I am just a few months shy of 60 years old and you would think that after all this time there would be nothing new under the sun. 

Today I was amazed to see a video that shows a mall employee walking and texting in the mall where she works.  Now this is not unusual at all.  Texting and walking  is just about as normal as normal can be in this day and age.  What makes this woman unique is that while she is doing her texting she literally falls into the fountain in her mall because she was not paying attention to where she was walking.   

Being that we are a culture that likes to see others hurt, we all laugh.  I have to admit I chuckled a bit myself.  She jumped out of the water as quickly as she fell in and went on her way.  It all seemed to happen so fast that the only people who saw this happen were the people in the mall security office.  She was upset that no one came to her aid but I am not sure there would have even enough time.  Being that they thought this was quite unique, within minutes it was up on the internet for all to see.

The woman was embarrassed and upset that no one came to her assistance.  Now she does what many Americans feel that they need to do when they do not want to take responsibility for their own actions…..she is suing the mall.

Our courts are overwhelmed with frivolous lawsuits and there are at least a few members of the legal profession for whom these kind of lawsuits generate a very good living.  It seems that many corporations and large organizations would rather pay than fight.  The so called victim gets some $, the lawyers get $ and the corporations avoid bad publicity.  I am sure that courts and legal folks have much better things to do with their time.  

I am sorry that the woman fell into the fountain, but give me a break.  She was not pushed, she did not trip over anything, and the mall had absolutely nothing to do with her clumsy, bad, experience. 


Maybe the people who put it on the internet should be punished, maybe not.  I am not sure what punishment, if any, fits this crime.   

It is my hope that this woman has learned a valuable lesson……at the very least look up every three steps if you are going to text while you are walking.  One small step for man, or woman……..

No comments:

Post a Comment